July 29, 2009

Asparagus Treats

Yesterday was Farmer's Market time again and I really made out this time. Picked up some yummy asparagus for one of our favorite treats. Asparagus is a hard texture for toddlers and it has a very distinct taste. I could never get my son to try it until I prepared it this way. Start by doing your usual wash and snap routine. Then dice them into about 1/4" pieces. They should be about the size of a skittle. I toss them in a cast iron skillet with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper just until they get a little browned. Then put the whole pan in the oven at 375 degrees for about 7-10 minutes.

Dump them immediately into your serving dish and squeeze the juice from one medium lemon and throw in a handful of freshly grated Pecorino or Parmesan. Toss it together and this is the easiest, most wonderful way to eat asparagus. My son LOVED it. The small pieces made it much easier to chew and the lemon brings a real freshness to the dish. It's also great on top of some crusty garlic bread. This dish is so great because it's tasty hot or room temperature. Perfect for picnics or outdoor dining.

No comments: