July 6, 2009

Kale, Mushrooms and Garlic Oh My

Last year we were getting a box delivery from our local co-op and it was fantastic. If we hadn't moved we probably would still be doing it. For $25 we got enough fruits and vegetables to last our family of three a week. What was good about it was that it forced me to be creative with ingredients I would not have thought to purchase on my own. For instance one week we got kumquats, which my husband had never had before. The bad part was that what was in season and locally grown we would get week after week. One runs out of different ways to cook kale after a while. So once we stopped I refused to buy kale anymore. Dandelion greens, Swiss chard, spinach, sign me up but NO MORE KALE.

Maybe I was feeling nostalgic for those days because today I saw some and couldn't resist. They were so fresh and lovely sitting there almost calling to me. So I whipped up one of my easy one pot(okay two pots) meals and it was so yummy. My method is simple. Throw a bunch of vegetables at some pasta and devour. This is the best way to get my two year old to clean his plate. He shoves it in his mouth and doesn't ask questions. A meal like this is perfect on days when I'm short on time or energy...or both. It's also good for cleaning out the fridge. I made it two ways (with dairy and without) since my son is allergic to dairy. Both were simple and delicious.

The Quick and the Kale Pasta
:

  • 2 cups sliced Cremini and Shitake mushrooms
  • 2-3 bunches of kale
  • 2 garlic cloves sliced paper thin
  • 2 tablespoons ricotta
  • 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
  • juice from half a lemon
  • 1 pound pasta of your choice ( I used Penne Rigate)
  • salt and pepper
  • olive oil
Add pasta to boiling (salted) water and heat large heavy bottomed pan with about a tablespoon of olive oil. Dump mushrooms in heated pan and saute until they are nicely browned. I add salt and pepper towards the end. When they are done, remove them from the pan and add another tablespoon of olive oil. Add the garlic cloves and let them start to get golden. Don't let them brown or overcook because then they will have a bitter taste. Make sure your kale is completely dry before adding it to the pan. I throw it in a salad spinner after rinsing and it works great. Try to get the kale coated with the garlic/oil mixture and let it wilt. This should only take about a minute or two. Season with salt, pepper and some lemon juice.

Now add the kale and mushrooms to the pasta and mix well. At this point I separated half of it and served it to the kiddo. For the dairy version, add the ricotta and Parmesan at this point and mix well. I usually reserve a little pasta water so a I can thin the sauce if need be. You can adjust to your tastes. The kale adds a heartiness to the dish and it's all very satisfying. Plus it takes 30 minutes or less to throw together and you can easily swap out any or all of the ingredients. Have fun!

No comments: